Submitted by Teo Graca and Stephen Adler
| RSS Feed
| Add Comment
| Bookmark Me!
Aquaponics - The Answer To Many Of The World’s Problems
Although aquaponics methodologies and technologies have been around for a long time, this approach to growing food is only recently getting the attention it deserves. Aquaponics is the solution to many of the global problems we are seeing today. Here are some issues that we are currently experiencing and that are increasing in severity on a daily basis.
- Every minute of every day the US loses 2 acres of agricultural land to development.
- The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world goes hungry.
- The world population will go from 6.8 billion today to 9 billion in the next 30 years.
- Global water problems, already at crisis proportions, could be a source of conflict and war in the future.
- Traditional farming is highly dependent on dwindling fossil fuel oil products.
- Due to increased energy costs, importing food is becoming cost prohibitive.
- Demand for high-quality fish products is increasing as importation costs increase, and it's value is currently second only to oil products.
Aquaponics is a "natural" solution to growing plants and fish for food and can solve these problems as people with just a little spare room on their patios, garages, roofs, yards or farm. Anyone can develop a self-sufficient system that consistently yields food for their family, friends and businesses interested in a relationship with a local grower of natural foods.
Aquaponics can be set up in areas smaller than a coffee table and expanded to the size of any closed in space. These systems require no dirt. It is 3 to 9 times more productive and requires one third or less of the man hours than a traditional dirt farm. It uses less than 80% of water and can be set up in very arid climates. Aquaponics creates a symbiotic relationship between fish and plants. The fish can eat some of the plants grown and they provide the fertilizer for the plants. With indoor facilities, insect problems can be easily eliminated.
We have compiled our research into the "Best Practices" known today and have acquired a number of resources that are available to you when you are ready to move into this area of expertise. These practices have become known as the "New Aquaponics" and we are here to help anyone get started in this wonderful new approach to developing a self-sufficient environment that creates tasty, healthy, 100% natural foods with no pesticides or toxic fertilizers. We put the brightest farming minds together with eager students and are dedicated to creating communities that help feed a hungry planet.
New Aquaponics offers consulting, systems design, systems set up, and education!
NOTE: We are also here to help growers develop positive and personal relationships with the buyers. In this way, buyers can absolutely know that they are getting truly natural foods instead of foods with "organic" claims from unknown sources.
Click for Details --> Research <--