Submitted by Writer's Cramp Syndications
| RSS Feed
| Add Comment
| Bookmark Me!
What is Craigslist?
There Are A Lot Of Lists Out There, Why Is Craig's So Popular?
Craigslist is a website that was started in 1995 by a guy named - you guessed it - Craig. What began as a place for the residents of San Francisco to find what they need from each other (i.e. a job, a babysitter, a new dresser, a Buick) has since grown exponentially. With sites for all 50 states, 52 countries, and major cities all over the world, Craigslist is the ultimate, all encompassing 'classifieds' for anything you could possibly want that's up for grabs in your neighborhood.
Why is Craigslist so popular?
Word of mouth spread the news of Craigslist so quickly that the sites in cities like San Francisco, New York, Boston, Houston and more are the premiere spots in the those cities for job seekers and employers alike. Because of the huge amount of traffic, Craigslist is also free of ads, banners, and any corporate sponsorship that could influence the content of the site.
Simple to use and easy to navigate, Craigslist has managed to keep its grassroots honesty as its grown and continues to provide a community forum to each community it serves.
What information can I find on Craigslist?
The better question might be: what can't you find on Craigslist? On the home page of each city you will find categories for your perusal including:
- Community - Here you will find childcare, a place to volunteer, classes to take, local news, lost and found, an addition to your band or artist collective, and someone to carpool with.
- Housing - This is the place to not only find a roommate, a room, an apartment or a sublet but also parking or storage rental, vacation rentals, office and commercial spaces, and someone to swap houses with. Customize your search by choosing price brackets, pets allowed, and specific neighborhoods.
- Jobs - Job listings are divided into 24 categories plus an Et Cetera section for positions that don't quite fit anywhere else. The beauty of this section is that despite the thousands of listings, you can narrow down the selection with keywords and by choosing jobs that offer telecommuting, part time hours, or availability in specific neighborhoods.
- Personals - There's something for everyone here. The best section is 'Missed Connections' where you can list a posting for that cute someone who smiled at you from across the room - or be found when that person posts looking for you.
- For Sale - Twenty-four listings plus a wanted section divides up thousands of postings of all sorts of stuff for sale. There's even a free stuff section and a place to barter. Find everything from packing materials to a new set of living room furniture.
- Discussion Forums - There are 54 categories in this section. You'll find someone to talk to who shares your same interests, whether your interests are transgender issues, haiku, kink, or gardening.
- Services - If you need someone to do your taxes, fix your computer, or give you a massage, you can find that person here.
- Gigs - If you're a computer programmer, stage hand, writer, or jack-of-all-trades, you can pick up a little side work here.
- Resumes - Post yours here or peruse some of the local talent.
- Event Calendar - Find something to do this weekend here.
How do I use Craigslist?
Go to www.craigslist.org, choose your country or state from the list on the right then choose your city and keep clicking until you find the apartment, roommate, job, community, relationship, conversation you've always wanted.
Click for Details --> Customer Generating Machine <--